Looking for a tasty breakfast sandwich idea when at your base camp (or even at home)? This fried-egg grilled cheese sandwich tastes great and should give you enough energy to get a good start to your adventures for the day.
– 2-3 tbs shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 slice of Monterey jack cheese
– 2 slices of (thick cut) bread
– 1 large egg
– 3-4 slices of bacon (optional)
I’m not a nutritionist and have little desire to count the calories, but if I had to guess you’re likely looking at a 600 calorie sandwich with about 20 grams of protein. Eat sensibly, and get some exercise and I’m sure you’ll be fine.
How to prepare:
1. cook up the bacon and clean up after (if you’re wanting bacon on the sandwich)
2. warm up your pan again and add some butter
3. fry your egg however you like your fried eggs – you do need to fuss around with it a bit, so sunny-side up maybe isn’t the best option. I like my eggs over easy, or with a broken yolk if I don’t want a messy breakfast.
4. when the egg is almost done, shove it off to the side and add some more butter
5. once the butter has melted, take a slice of bread and soak up the melted butter – you want an even coat across the slice of bread
6. leave the bread in the pan, butter side down so it starts to brown
7. drop a slice of Monterey Jack onto the bread
8. transfer your egg to the top of the cheese, top with some bacon
9. place the next slice of bread and move the sandwich to the side
10. add more butter to the pan and let it melt
11. flip your sandwich and place it into the melted butter
12. add some shredded cheddar to the now browned top of the sandwich
13. wait a few seconds for the bottom to brown and flip your sandwich again
14. add shredded cheddar to this side of the sandwich and flip the entire thing once more
15. the cheddar should have melted and given you a nice crispy cheesy ‘crust’
16. turn off the heat, drop your sandwich on a plate and enjoy
Here’s the video – be sure to adjust your YouTube settings to watch in HD quality.
If you watch carefully, I drop a single piece of shredded cheese in the pan and judge when to flip the sandwich based on when that piece of shredded cheese is brown and crisp. You won’t end up with a gooey cheese mess if done just right!
Enjoy your breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Feel free to share this post with your camping and even non-camping friends – it’s a tasty treat even at home!